esa new york is a non-profit organization mending the disconnect with our relationship to clothing and the fashion industry, through the power of community, experiences, and education.
We’re here to do 3 things:
- Raise awareness about the fashion industry’s impact on people and the planet.
Empower you to take matters into your own hands with easy yet powerful actions and equip you with tools to sustain those actions.
Fuel the conscious consumer movement to spark real and lasting change.
Ultimately, esa believes we, everyday-jean-wearing people, have the collective power to hold corporations accountable creating a world that works for and supports everyone.
Why We Exist
...Worn clothes before?
We rarely think of the impact our clothing has on the environment and the people who make it, but think about your daily routine and what you consume. Most of us put on a freshly washed
pair of undies (FASHION) ,
a top (FASHION),
a bottom (FASHION),
...and if you’re anything like us a handful of accessories (FASHION).
Each of these has a complicated and powerful impact on our environment and our societies from fiber, to fabric, to dyeing, to processing, to assembly and to sale. For instance, one pair of jeans takes on average 1,800 gallons of water simply to grow the cotton required. This statistic doesn’t even include the amount of water needed to dye and finish a pair of jeans, which is astronomical. How about all the other steps in the process...
- What did the person who grew the cotton get paid?
- Did the dye house dump toxic chemicals into the drinking water of a nearby town?
- Did the man who distressed the jeans have protective gloves and masks?
- How old was the woman who assembled the jeans?
- How much carbon was emitted when shipping the jeans from country of assembly to you?
- Did you buy the jeans because you genuinely needed them or because someone told you they would make you happier?
- How many chemicals did the jeans leech into the wash water at the laundromat?
- How long did it take for those jeans to end up in a landfill?
Aaaand the list goes on and on. Overwhelming, right?
We’re here to educate you on the hidden impacts of the industry and empower you to take action through hands-on programming to make conscious choices in your wardrobe.
Community : cooperation, inclusivity, support + togetherness
Integrity : transparency, compassion, communication, accessibility + trust
Passion : positivity, questioning, conversation, experience + fun
Empowerment : co-creative action, ingenuity, lasting + impactful change
Thriving : balance, closed-loop, justice + growth
We're creating a new narrative in fashion.
Read the story behind our name here